Sunday, June 1, 2008

T minus 20 hours!

Tomorrow, I’m off to Tanzania! I’m flying from Charlotte to Detroit, then to Amsterdam, then to Mt. Kilimanjaro. I depart from Charlotte at 12:40 on Sunday and, if all goes well, I’ll arrive around 11 PM Monday night in Tanzania. Most of our group is meeting in Amsterdam, so at least I won’t be alone for two 7-8 hour flights in a row. Packing has been interesting. In the end, I ended up having to bring two suitcases – one full of supplies (I'll try to find some worthy cause to which to donate the suitcase after we get there) and one full of my own stuff.

< The supply suitcase, although unfortunately I can't put any of the film in my checked baggage because the X-ray machines will damage it. Thus, I get to carry all the film in my backpack... woohoo.

Once we get there, we’ll be staying in small apartments except for a two-week homestay with a Tanzanian family. I should have regular internet access in an internet café, which will allow me to update my blog and add pictures (barring any technological difficulties.) I’ll leave you with the following exchange that occurred between my mother and me today – if you know her, it probably won’t surprise you too much.

Mom: Are you excited to leave? Do you want us to play the Lion King or something?
Me: Do you know what "simba" means in Swahili?
Mom: Tiger?
Me: (blank stare)
Mom: Lion? What's the difference, anyway? Oh, tigers have stripes.

1 comment:

DSLAM said...

Oh tigers also have manes!

Wow you're packing super light. Have a safe flight Hilsner!